“This thick soup is a wonderful comfort food. It’s easy to make, delicious and healthy! I know the spices sound strange, but the end result is an excellent savory soup. Good enough for company!”
Chef Carol tried this soup today at Whole Foods… her response is “YUMMY”!
Moroccan Harira Soup
Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 2 hrs Servings: 8
- 1/2 C. Lentils
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- 2 C. Onions, chopped
- 1/2 C. chopped fresh Parsley
- 1/2 C. chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 t. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 t. Cinnamon
- 1 t. Turmeric
- 1 T. Paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 C. vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15 ounce) can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 C Orzo Pasta
- 2 T. Flour
- 1/4 C. Chopped Cilantro
- 2 T. Lemon juice
- 1 T. Tomato Paste ( or Ketchup)
- Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, ginger, and cinnamon. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and saute 5 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, chickpeas, lentils, reserved tomato liquid, and 3 cups water.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occassionally. In separate bowl, whisk flour with 1 cup water.
- Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice and tomato paste. Add mixture to soup. Add orzo to soup.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until orzo is soft.