Start by combining the following ingredients for the yogurt dip that pairs with the fritters. Make and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste.
FYI – For a different sauce, you can replace the dill with cilantro and the lemon with lime juice, and add a bit of honey. Or try mint!
Now time to make the fritters!
- Meanwhile, peel and shred 4 kohlrabi bulbs into a colander and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a separate bowl combine
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 Tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion (you can add in some green garlic too if you have it),
- 1 teaspoon of salt,
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper and black pepper to taste.
- Add kohlrabi by the spoonful and mix until egg is coating the entire mixture.
Heat 4 Tablespoons of olive oil in skillet until small bubbles appear. Form fritter mixture into two-inch balls and drop into skillet. Press gently with spatula to flatten.
Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from: From Asparagus to Zucchini, A Guide to Cooking Farm Fresh Produce (3rd ed.).
Photos and text by Blooming Glen Farm apprentice Rebecca Metcalf.