Cucumbers are a pretty familiar part of most salads and because they are easy to grow, they tend to be a staple in most home gardens. But how well do we really know this vegetable? Chances are we don’t know it as well as we think we do. To begin with, it is not even a vegetable. Nope. Botanically speaking, a cucumber is a fruit. And you can use this versatile fruit for everything from weight loss to clean up….yup, that’s right….it can act as a cleaning agent. For more helpful hints, powerful tips, and interesting facts about the cucumber, read these astonishing bits of information from our friends at Seenox.org.
- Stop taking multi-vitamins. A cucumber contains nearly all of the vitamins you need in a day, including B vitamins, Calcium, Iron, Potassium and Zinc.
- Got a hangover or a bad headache? Eating a few cucumber slices before going to sleep can prevent a hangover. The cucumber contains enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish what was lost while partying it up at the club, allowing you to wake up feeling refreshed and headache free.
- And forget the afternoon cup of Joe. One cucumber can give you a boost that will last for hours.
- On a dinner date and realize that you forgot your breath mints? Ask the waiter for a few cucumber slices. Press a slice to the roof of your mouth for 30 seconds. The phytochemicals kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Cucumbers are wonderful for the digestive system, treating issues such as heartburn, gastritis, and even ulcers. Cucumbers contain 95% water which hydrates and replenishes the body and eliminates toxins. The high water content in cucumber acts as a system cleanser and sweeps the waste products out of the system.
- A daily diet of cucumbers over time can dissolve kidney stones.
And then there are the non-edible uses for the cucumber:
- Bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Rub a few cucumber slices over the mirror and it will eliminate the fog problem. It will also deliver a spa-like fragrance in the bathroom.
- Want to look your best in a bathing suit? Rubbing cucumber slices over problem areas for few minutes will help tighten skin and eliminate the look of cellulite. The phytochemical in the cucumber causes the collagen to tighten. And, yes, fabulous tip works for wrinkles, too!
- Eyes looking puffy in the morning? There is a reason why women put cucumber slices over their eyes. The cucumber will help eliminate the puffiness.
- Feeling stressed? Try cutting up a whole cucumber and placing it in boiling water. When the chemicals and the nutrients in the cucumber are released with the steam, they create a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
- Got a squeaky door? Rub a cucumber slice over the problem hinge and the squeak is gone!
- Shoes need polishing? A freshly cut cucumber slice rubbed over the shoe will not only provide a durable shine, it will repel water.
- Grubs and slugs in your garden or planting beds? A few cucumber slices in a pie tin placed in the garden will keep the area free of pests.
- Got water marks on your faucets, sinks, or stainless steel? A slice of cucumber rubbed onto the surface will not only remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but it won’t leave streaks.
- Kids got crayon or markers on the wall? Use the outside of the cucumber to erase those “marks.”
The cucumber is one of those foods that is simply not getting the attention that it deserves. Packed with vitamins and loaded with phytochemicals that can do everything from giving you a face-lift to cleaning bathroom fixtures, maybe it is time the cucumber was added to the list of today’s superfoods. Freshly picked, organically grown cucumbers are now being harvested at Colchester Neighborhood Farm. Make sure you get yours today.