Well, if you can make a mock apple pie using Ritz Crackers, then it doesn’t seem like a big stretch to bake up a similar pie using green tomatoes. Once again, Allrecipes offered up this variation of a non-apple, apple pie and the reviews on it are very good. So, if you haven’t gone apple picking yet but still want an apple pie or if you are just looking for a different way to cook up the green tomatoes, give this Green Tomato Pie III a try. Warning, some people indicated that they used a little more flour than called for in the recipe to cut down on the wateriness. If you do try this recipe, please let us know if you liked it.
5 green tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place diced green tomatoes and vinegar in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and flour. Sprinkle over tomatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Pour into pie crust and cover with criss-cross lattice crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and crust is brown.