With temperatures hovering well into the 80s and the dew point inching toward the 70s, nobody wants to cook on the grill or the stove, for that matter. These are the days when cool summer salads really hit the spot and nothing tastes better than a salad made with veggies picked right from the garden. Fortunately, all of the main ingredients in this salad from Allrecipes can be purchased at Colchester Neighborhood Farm, which has plenty of freshly harvested zucchini, tomatoes, and cucumbers for sale.
Cucumber Tomato Salad with Zucchini and Black Olives in Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 large cucumbers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large salad bowl, mix together the cucumbers, zucchini, red onion, tomatoes, black olives, basil, and thyme. In a separate bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, kosher salt, sugar, and white pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour the olive oil slowly into the dressing mixture, whisking to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, and serve.