September is here and that means temperatures will start to fall. Warm soups should be on the menu to combat those cooler temperatures and there is just something so delicious and comforting about squash soup. With Colchester Neighborhood Farm harvesting wonderful delicata winter squash, this recipe for Delicata Creamy Squash Soup is sure to hit the spot on a cool autumn day. Add some grilled cheese sandwiches and you have all the makings of true comfort food!
- 3 delicata squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place the squash, cut sides down, in a baking dish. Add 1/8 inch water in baking dish, cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onion is softened but not brown.
- Scrape the squash out of the flesh and add to onions. Add the stock and heavy cream. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.