There is just so much to like about this salad from Taste of Home. Not only does it taste good, it’s good for you. And nearly all of the ingredients can purchased at Colchester Neighborhood Farm including the fresh lettuce, Red Russian Kale and Curly Kale for the greens, apples, raw honey, and Blue Cheese. So why not stop into Colchester Farm today and make this sweet and tasty salad tonight. Feel free to grill up some fresh chicken to add a little protein.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white or regular balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 2 large apples, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- For dressing, whisk together first eight ingredients. In a bowl, toss apples with 1/4 cup dressing.
- Place apple slices on a grill rack over medium heat; reserve dressing left in bowl. Grill apples, covered, until tender and lightly browned, 3-4 minutes per side, brushing with reserved marinade.
- To serve, toss greens with remaining dressing. Top with grilled apples, walnuts and cheese.
Health Tip: Lighten this salad by leaving off the walnuts and blue cheese. You’ll save 150 calories per serving, but the grilled apples and homemade dressing will still make it taste as if it came from a restaurant.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.